There are a number of Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) for domestic students in postgraduate coursework programs offered by the ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment and ANU College of Physical and Mathematical Sciences (CMBE / CPMS).
A CSP can save more than 50 per cent on the cost of full-fee postgraduate study. With a CSP, students will instead pay the equivalent of undergraduate fees for their postgraduate coursework.
CSP places are available for the following programs:
- Master of Astronomy and Astrophysics (Advanced)
- Master of Biological Sciences (Advanced)
- Master of Biotechnology (Advanced)
- Master of Earth Sciences (Advanced)
- Master of Energy Change (Advanced)
- Master of Environment (Advanced)
- Master of Environmental Science (Advanced)
- Master of Forestry (Advanced)
- Master of Mathematical Sciences (Advanced)
- Master of Neuroscience (Advanced)
- Master of Public Health (Advanced)
- Master of Science Communication Outreach
CSP are limited in number and selection is highly competitive. Not all applicants will be successful.
There will be three main rounds, prior to semester 1:
- Mid December
- Mid January
- Mid February
There will be two main rounds, prior to semester 2:
- Mid June
- Mid July
Applicants who do not receive an offer in the first rounds may be considered in subsequent rounds.
- Domestic student i.e. Australian citizens, New Zealand citizens or Australian Permanent Resident holders.
- Students must be commencing a new CMBE / CPMS postgraduate coursework program to be eligible for a CSP.
- Students must have submitted their UAC application and have their UAC number.
- For commencing students: new students who have applied to commence study in 2016 in one of the postgraduate coursework programs offered by CMBE / CPMS. Applicants with conditional offers may apply for a CSP but they are required to meet any outstanding conditions by the end of January for Semester 1 intake, and by the end of June for Semester 2 intake.
- Students in research based programs including the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are not eligible.
- Students in non-award study are not eligible.
The selection of students for CSP will be based purely on academic merit (e.g. past academic performance, level of qualifications: PhD, H1, Masters).
Successful students are expected to take up their CSP in the semester for which it was offered. Applications to defer the CSP will not be considered. Students can reapply for a CSP place for the approved term of deferment at the required time.
The CSP is only available for the prescribed duration of the program in which the student initially enrols. Should the student seek to change their program they will need to reapply for a CSP and will be considered against all new applications.
If the student withdraws from their degree program the CSP is forfeited.
The student is subject to the usual rules of the degree program for which they are enrolled. If the student fails two or more courses they will be asked to show cause why their enrolment should not be terminated.
Student contribution amounts for new and continuing students by ANU are assessed in accordance with the amount stipulated by the Government for Commonwealth supported students. Current amounts for Commonwealth supported students.
Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) are limited and awarded competitively on the basis of prior tertiary study. (Students with first class honours, Masters, PhD will be the most competitive).